“It isn’t what you have, or who you are, or where you are, or what you are doing that makes you happy or unhappy. It’s what you think about.” -Dale Carnegie

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Get in the Car, please. I have Many Places to go Today.

So yesterday I went into Idaho Falls at 4:00 to drive with my new driving buddies..... Yay.
Here's what happened.

I decided that I had a distinct disadvantage as I sat in the back set and observed my buddies (a slightly normal boy and an emo girl) driving around the cones, making U- turns, and some three point turns, and then went around roundabouts, neighborhoods and other stuff. They drove like they had been for a while. Illegally, I might add.

After they both drove for about an hour and 15 minutes, it was my turn. After a silent meltdown, and 75 minutes of praying that I would not have a fatal heart attack, I got out of the back seat and in the front of the car.

As I was driving around the cones I realized that turning the steering wheel is actually important, and that accelerating too fast does not actually help you get around the cones faster.

I drove around the roundabouts and found out that it is good that there is another brake in the car.

I finished the roundabouts, turned onto another road, and got closer to a church that we had passed 2 times before. But instead of driving right past it, my instructor told me to turn into the parking lot.
Thoughts were percolating in my head. What had I done wrong? Why did I have to turn into the parking lot? Nobody else had had to pull in to the church! Ahhhh!
So I pulled in and he told me to try and park in a space. I leveled the bottom of the mirror with the top of the curb and parked, just like he told me to.

"Did you do that right?"

"I.... uhh..... bleh blem, *he hem* I dunno." *eyes widen nervously*

He opened his door and started to get out, so I figured that we were making sure I didn't do any damage to the car. I unbuckled my seat belt with my slightly clammy hands and opened the door. The long walk to the front of the car exacerbated my feelings of anxiety.

The first thing I saw was a hole and scratches on my side of the car.

After I freaked out- inside my head, of course- I realized that the hole that I thought I had made was actually the headlight and that the scratches were from previous students. And I breathed a sigh of distinct relief.

So I pulled out and we continued on our journey.

We came to an intersection and I was supposed to make a moving left turn. Now, my driving pals had never had to make a left hand turn with a car sitting on the opposite side of the road that we were supposed to turn on to. Needless to say, with a pretty new Nissan sitting on the other side of the road, my turn was slightly perfect.

And you can take that to the bank.





No comments:

Post a Comment

WHAT IN HECK ARE YOU DOING?!